Wednesday 1 June 2016

Games I've Played - Project Diva X

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I'm a bit of a fan of Vocaloid-themed rhythm games. Hatsune Miku Project Diva X released in Japan earlier this year, I imported it and have been playing it a bit.

Project Diva X is the latest in the Project Diva series - which focuses on all six Crypton's Vocaloids - from MEIKO to Megurine Luka, but with a big focus on Hatsune Miku - currently available on Vita, and releasing on PS4 later in the year - with a US release for both confirmed to be available soon after the Japan release of the PS4 version. It introduces new songs, new buttons and a couple of new modes - the main being sort of a Story Mode, where you play through, unlock songs, gain points to fill up areas (something about bringing light to darkness, I think.), unlock modules/costumes... The Free Play mode of previous games returns, but with the limitation that you have to unlock the songs and modules through the Story mode part first. There's also Live Quests - almost missions, where you have to play certain songs, or use certain costumes, or a certain character and get a certain score, which then unlocks something else at the end.

I spent most of my time in the "Story" mode - as that's where the bulk of the unlocks come from - unlike previous Project Diva games, it's the only way to unlock stuff, with each song played giving a chance at unlocking a random module once the "Chance Time" zone is cleared (which, with the amount some characters have, plus the fact that it has the chance to give modules you've already got, can prove to be a bit frustrating.). SEGA do provide a way to unlock all the costumes in one go, but it requires spending real money on - it is, however, quite tempting, and the option I may go for if/when a European release rolls round, as I don't much fancy going through the random unlocks over again just to get everything - especially for a couple of costumes that can only be obtained by getting certain scores on a couple of the hardest songs on Extreme difficulty, and only if you also manage to pass the "Chance Time" zones for them. I've got 17 modules for Miku and 1 module for Rin left to unlock - one of which being to complete the Ultimate Medley on Extreme, which I think I might pass on.

Along with the number of modules available, there's a large range of accessories to unlock (of which, my favourite is the moustache...) and dress up everyone with. These unlock randomly after completing songs in the Story Mode/Live Quest parts - along with items to use in the DIVA Room portion, either to decorate the room with, or to give as gifts to the various Cryptonloids... This in turn makes them happier (if they're given an item they like - for example, ice cream for KAITO, leeks for Miku...), or MORE UNLOCKS, a variety of Events that can occur, each with their own little video. Whilst I've unlocked all the accessories, I'm still missing a number of the room items and events, but this doesn't bug me quite so much, as I don't spend as much of my time in that mode.

But, what's a rhythm game without a song list? Project Diva X contains 24 songs, two of which may be familiar to those who have played other Project Diva/Mirai games, split across 5 different themes (Neutral, Cute, Cool, Beauty and Chaos). It also has 6 Medleys - one for each theme, and the Ultimate medley. I feel the track list is a mixed bag, with a handful of songs I like, but mostly songs I'm not too fussed about. Miku gets the highest billing for songs, having 17 solo songs, sharing two duets, one trio, and appearing in all six medleys - whilst, yes, her name ~is~ on the box, it is a little disappointing to see some of their Vocaloids appear in only one or two songs, in which they have to share the spotlight with another Vocaloid. The medleys are a nice way to have even more songs in the game, but it would have been nice to see some of the songs included be instead their own song.

Overall, Project Diva X is a decent Vocaloid game experience, but I find it easy to burn myself out on it trying to get the unlocks, and not having much of the song list particularly appeal to me. Whilst I'll probably end up picking up both versions if it does get a European release (especially to be able to pick up whatever DLC might be releasing in future), I think I'll pass on importing the PS4 version - instead, I'm looking at picking up Future Tone, a port of the Arcade version for PS4, which is set to contain 220 songs and 340 modules, and all for about £60 (after picking up a couple of JP PSN cards).

No comments:

Post a Comment